Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Laney Grace

It seems that anyone with children and a Facebook page knows about this little girl. Even if you tried to avoid it (like me) you've still seen it on your friends pages or statuses. More than likely, you've even been solicited to fan Rufflebutts in support of sweet Laney Grace.

I tried to avoid it. I never clicked the links that were posted. I never read about this girl and I never fanned Rufflebutts. Heartless? Maybe. No, actually, that isn't true either. Too much heart perhaps. I didn't just not become a fan of Rufflebutts, I didn't ignore it either. I left it there as a reminder that this girl was suffering.

I didn't, and still don't, want to know what horrible battle she was fighting. The fact that she was so young and obviously induring something painful and tragic was already more than I want to bear. I kept that reminder so that she stayed in my thoughts, but I couldn't bring myself to get in too deep.

As a mother to three small, healthy, rambunctious boys, I'm incredibly greatful for their health and well-being. When they drive me absolutely mad, I try to remind myself that there are mother's out there who would give their last breath to be able to experience what I see as a burden. So many families have lost their children far too young and never even get the opportunity to yell at them or be on the verge of baldness thanks to their children's antics. I recognize, appreciate, and respect that whole-heartedly.

Why did I avoid Laney Grace and her cause? The answer can be found in the end of her story. She lost her battle. She is gone. Her family is suffering from a pain that I beg God I never have to go through. The thousands (if not millions) of people who have been affected by her story have shed tears and hugged their children tighter. They've followed her story and have been devestated at any set-backs and elated at her appearant triumphs. In short, they became attatched. I can't do that anymore.

I'm angry. I am so incredibly infuriated because despite my efforts of avoiding everything related to this child, I am still heartbroken for the loss of her precious life. I don't have to know what disease she had or how much pain she indured to know that Heaven has gained another angel and that a family here on Earth has lost one of their main reasons for living.

Quite frankly, it pisses me off. This is why I avoid these stories. The unjustified loss of a child is beyond the range of things I'm capable of handling. Obviously...

2 comments:

  1. I understand fully! I was and am the same. When I read on some others FB posts that she had died, I went to my girls and wrapped my arms around them and prayed. And still am, for her family and for those touched by her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. I did read some of it, but it did take me a while. And even after I read (on facebook) that she had passed, it still took me a while to read about it from her mother's perspective. It's hard, and I too pray everyday that God doesn't take my boys away from me. That is, by far, the biggest fear in my life.

    ReplyDelete